Basic steps to follow when arranging your self-storage space
For small self storage units:
1) Make a sketching of the floor plan with the exact measurements of the dimensions of your rental space. Most small storage rooms are easier to arrange things in, simply because there are fewer items to keep in mind. The width and the depth of the space should be enough to give you an idea on how to arrange things.
2) Decide what you are going to store in this space. Smaller units are often good for storing bikes and motorcycles, and there are even storage units that are especially made for this type of self storage.
3) Determine if you will require a walkway to access your stored goods or not. Smaller units may only leave very limited space for a walkway if at all. This may impact the size of unit you will need to rent.
For medium-sized self storage units:
1) Consider buying a wide array of storage boxes, wrappings and containers, especially if you plan to keep domestic objects in the storage room, for example, chairs, sofas, old furniture, etc. Specifically designed, well-made boxes will help you to better organize your items, while labels will make accessing your goods much easier.
2) Medium-sized storage units are almost as big as a one-car garage and thus can accommodate a walkway. This should be included in your floor plan.
3) Ask the staff at the storage facility whether they provide storage rooms with different storage accessories and equipment like shelves, racks, containers, etc. Alternatively if want to equip the room with your own shelves and cabinets see if they can recommend anyone.
4) Another great hint is to arrange your belongings according to the characteristics of the specific unit. Decide whether the windows (if any) play a major role for the location of some objects or not, whether the room is climate controlled or not, etc. Don’t forget to leave enough free space near the lights too.
For large self storage units:
1) Some large storage rooms feature doors as large as the width of a boat or RV. If you plan to keep a vehicle in storage you definitely need to make sure you rent the correct size while leaving room for any other goods you may wish to store.
2) Arranging domestic or office objects in a large storage room is a completely different thing. For example, you should begin with the biggest objects, which should be placed near the corners. Then, the smaller objects and boxes should be placed near the walkway and near the lights so they don’t overshadow the rest of the room.
3) Arrange your possessions according to the likelihood of use. Put the most frequently used objects close to the walkway so you can reach them easily and quickly.
4) Consider the best location for the walkway. It may be just one in the middle of the room or a couple smaller walkways alongside the walls.
Ella Andrews is blogger and freelance writer, who is very passionate about home improvement, remodeling, interior and exterior design ideas. She’s been writing about similar topics for a long time, but is also constantly searching for new sources of inspiration. More helpful tips and advice on removals and storage see: http://manvan.co/