Is your house looking cluttered? Is your office getting a little too untidy? If either of these are the case, then there is every chance that you will need to utilise a storage facility of some kind. Finding an appropriate company to handle such is easy; the hard task is getting your items ready for transportation. The core element in such will be the boxes and packing supplies used during the item prep process.
The key element when it comes to moving items either to a new destination or into storage is preparation, as you really should prepare for anything. Always acquire more boxes than you think you will need, as the last thing you need is to be caught short right around the time you need to start moving items. If budget permits, also try to make sure you use boxes that have thick walls and can carry large amounts of weight. The following are the leading types of boxes, all of which have various specific uses.
- Dish Boxes – Cube shaped and built to protect glass and china-ware, designed to allow for the stacking of plates and glasses.
- Mini China Boxes – Similar to dish boxes in design, mini china boxes are smaller and have handles for increased control. Designed for your most delicate china-ware and other kitchen utensils that can be easily damaged.
- Lamp Boxes – Long and narrow, named such due to the ease with which they can store lamps and other elongated products.
- Wardrobe Boxes – Coming complete with an inbuilt bar, wardrobe boxes are specifically built to carry clothes. They can come in vertical and horizontal forms and are the easiest way to transport and store clothes without having to fold them.
- File Boxes – The last thing anyone wants is to do is get their paper work muddled up. File boxes prevent that, they come with flat lids and protect files in the state and order in which they are placed into the box.
- Mirror/Picture Boxes – Arguably the sturdiest type of box available. Consists of a regular box that comes in two pieces of which one part can slide over the other, increasing item protection.
- Utility Boxes – Tall and narrow, perfect for household cleaning items such as mops, brooms and vacuum cleaners.
- Corrugated Boxes – Built for heavy items, corrugated boxes are primed to help prevent damage that occurs from bumps and knocks while items are being moved.
When it comes to moving items, getting the right boxes is only half the battle, as you will need more supplies than just that. You’re going to need certain packing supplies that can be used to further the protection of your items. Should you want ultimate protection for your items, make sure you use one or more of the following.
- Tissue Paper – Simple yet effective, tissue paper is perfect for wrapping breakables and delicate items. Those who are planning on placing items into long-term storage can get the added benefit of using tissue papers to help prevent scratches to glassware. They can also be used as dividers between clothing.
- Bubble Wrap – While not the most versatile of wrap, bubble wrap can provide protection for flat items. It should be used to wrap electrical items, as it will help prevent dust from accumulating.
- Packing Peanuts – Should be poured into a box in order to help separate and further protect the items inside.
- Labels – The final element of the packing process, you should label each box with a note of a what’s inside. This will make unloading and unpacking items at a future date easier and less confusing.
Ella Andrews is blogger and freelance writer, who is very passionate about home relocation and self storage projects. She’s been writing about similar topics for a long time, but is also constantly searching for new sources of inspiration.