1. What is your name and what is your position?
Shaun Bain MD of the KBH Group of Companies, operating KeepSafe Self Storage.
2. How/Why did you first become involved in self storage?
KBH first “dipped its toe in the water” with a small self-storage facility in Mandurah Western Australia. Having already owned and operated a Marina in WA, we looked to understand the inner workings of self storage and to develop a strong rolling return.
3. What do you think has been the biggest change to self storage since you first entered the industry?
Although we have only been in Self-Storage since 2010, the fastest changing element is the movement to online marketing and lead sourcing.
4. What is your best tip for managing staff in self storage?
Ensure that all staff understand the key drivers that make a successful storage business, and what impact the staff can have on those drivers. For example, understanding that every walk-in and every phone call has a cost to it. The marketing dollars spent on getting that potential customer to our door is lost if we are unable to convert them into a sale.
5. What is your message to members of the SSAA?
Being a relatively new entrant into the self storage industry I found that the vast array of resources available from the SSAA greatly assisted KBH with the set-up of our new business. From the online resources, referrals to quality suppliers, discussions with industry experts through to the networking at conferences, the SSAA is well positioned to provide you the information you need, so make the most of it.
6. What do you see as the biggest threat to, or competition for self-storage?
Oversupply of storage facilities in a particular area/region
7. What do you think are the opportunities for growth in self-storage?
As competition increases with the introduction of more self-storage facilities throughout Australia the use of technology to maximise your marketing dollar and minimise overheads.
8. If you could look into the future, what do you see for self storage?
I see the cost of industrial/commercial land increasing faster than retail price of storage, which leads to the inevitable requirement to build multi storey (3 levels plus) facilities in order to provide a suitable return.
9. Describe your ideal holiday destination.
It must be sunny and on the water’s edge!! I’m relatively simple in that regard. My young family and I love the ocean, so holidaying on or near the water is the most crucial element.
10. Finish this sentence – “Nobody likes…
Or wins from an unhappy customer.
11. What is your favourite meal?
I can narrow that down to two, traditional lamb shanks or fresh boiled blue-swimmer crabs from WA washed down with a cold beverage.
12. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Unfortunately I am allergic to dogs and cats, but given the choice I would certainly get a dog.
13. What ‘life advice’ would you give to a younger version of yourself?
“Associate yourself with men and women of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for ’tis better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
I learnt this one the hard way!