1. What is your name and what is your position?
Susan Phillips – General Manager, Charters Towers Self Storage
2. How/Why did you first become involved in self storage?
I attended my very first self storage conference on the Gold Coast in 2000 with a view to sourcing information on the industry and how to develop a greenfields site.
3. What do you think has been the biggest change to self storage since you first entered the industry?
Technology – your customers are finding ever increasing ways to contact you – so it’s important to stay up to date.
4. What is your best tip for managing staff in self storage?
Inclusiveness. Share your knowledge. Continue to train your staff.
5. What is your message to members of the SSAA?
If you are a member take advantage of all of the benefits on offer. There are plenty of ways to access assistance such as the website, the office staff, legal services, Insider Magazine and annual conference.
6. What do you see as the biggest threat to, or competition for self-storage?
Not so much a threat but a ‘challenge’ is the continuing education of the public as to what self storage is and how it can benefit them.
7. If you could look into the future, what do you see for self storage?
Customers will demand more services at times that are more convenient to them e.g. outside of regular business hours.
8. Describe your ideal holiday destination.
I love camping in the outback. Picton in NZ is fantastic.
9. Finish this sentence – “Nobody likes…
10. What is your favourite meal?
Barramundi – Tom Yum style.
11. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Dog person. Vanilla is my beautiful and very large white dog.
12. What ‘life advice’ would you give to a younger version of yourself?
Don’t take no for an answer…JUST DO IT.